Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
LAST UPDATE | 16 Jan 2024
CORK GAA SAYS that they have yet to finalise details with SuperValu on the controversial proposed naming rights deal for Páirc Uí Chaoimh, with discussions ongoing between the parties.
The grandson of Pádraig Ó Caoimh is amongst those who have spoken out against a proposal to rename Cork’s Páirc Uí Chaoimh “Supervalu Páirc”.
The stadium is currently named after the late Irish soldier and one-time general secretary of the GAA, but GAA board delegates are considering a proposal to change the name under a new rights deal with Supervalu.
The proposed renaming was expected to be put to delegates at a meeting of the Cork county board on Tuesday evening.
“Cork GAA can confirm that it is in discussions with SuperValu regarding the naming rights for Páirc Uí Chaoimh,” a statement from Cork GAA issued on this evening said.
“While no matter had been finalised prior to the meeting of delegates to the County Board on Tuesday evening, both sides have been conscious of the public debate that followed recent speculation in the media.
“SuperValu and Cork GAA remain committed to continuing their engagement, as both parties share a common interest in supporting Gaelic games across the county, and discussions are continuing.”
Dónal Ó Caoimh, Pádraig’s grandson, said he was saddened to learn about the proposal through media reports.
In a statement issued earlier today, Ó Caoimh said his grandfather’s legacy should not be “eradicated” for sponsorship.
He said if the rights deal goes ahead, it will mark the sale of “heritage and narrative for profit”.
“My grandfather’s story inspires young players to dream. You take away the absence of focus on money and corporations from games and you have lost what makes the GAA unique. The cornerstone of the organisation is volunteerism not corporations,” Ó Caoimh said.
Speaking ahead of a Cork County GAA Board meeting tonight to debate the proposal, Ó Caoimh said that the meeting being held behind closed doors is “profoundly undemocratic”.
Thanks @RealPMurphy , as Padraig O'Caoimh's grandson I’m just learning about this decision tonight through the media. Nobody from the GAA reached out to me to tell me this was being discussed. I’m in shock and saddened tonight. https://t.co/Buo1bok8nT
— Dónal Ó Caoimh (@donalocaoimh) January 15, 2024
However, he went on to say that he has faith that the Páirc will retain its original name.
Ó Caoimh added that, to the best of his knowledge, no one in his family was contacted by the GAA about the proposal which is being considered.
Tánaiste Micheál Martin, a Cork native, has said today he is “deeply disappointed and annoyed” at the proposal to change the name.
“Pádraig Uí Chaoimh was a key figure in the formation of the GAA at club and national level. Govt allocated €30m towards the development of the stadium and never sought naming rights,” he posted on X, formerly Twitter.
Deeply disappointed & annoyed at the proposal to change the name of Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
— Micheál Martin (@MichealMartinTD) January 16, 2024
Pádraig Uí Chaoimh was a key figure in the formation of the GAA at club and national level.
Govt allocated €30m towards the development of the stadium and never sought naming rights.
The Irish Examiner this week reported that the deal being considered would see Boston Scientific, Statkraft and PepsiCo gaining subsidiary stadium branding privileges in an effort to drum up new sponsorship revenue.
The paper said the deal is for a five-year time period, and could be worth €1.5 million.
Páirc Ui Chaoimh has grappled with debts for years, with stadium losses last year adding up to €331,000.
Kevin O’Donovan, the CEO of Cork GAA, issued a statement which said that his organisation has a “responsibility” to ensure that it is on a firm financial footing.
He added that to that end, it has been seeking ways to secure additional income from sources that meet the “goals and objectives of the wider organisation”.
O’Donovan said that a proposal that includes selling naming rights for the biggest asset under Cork GAA’s control – the Páirc – will be discussed tonight.
“It would be inappropriate to comment ahead of that meeting,” he further said.
O’Donovan added that revenue generated from such an arrangement would be used to help ensure games continue to grow at every level in the years ahead.
The Lord Mayor of Cork Cllr Kieran McCarthy has said that he hopes a compromise can be found to allow Páirc Uí Chaoimh to remain as part of the name for the venue.
He said that a new sponsorship deal is very welcome, but the name of the Pairc is “synonymous with Cork”.
“Pádraig Ó Caoimh led the GAA for 35 years, a man who grew the grassroots of clubs across the country, so there is a massive history there,” McCarthy said on RTÉ Radio One today.
“If it was ‘SuperValu Páirc Uí Chaoimh’ or ‘Páirc Uí Chaoimh with SuperValu’, that would be fantastic. ‘SuperValu Páirc’ is not right, and there is nothing wrong with the name SuperValu. Cork people are proud of Páirc Uí Chaoimh; it is the colosseum of sport in Cork city,” the Mayor suggested.
The Journal contacted Supervalu for comment.
Additional reporting by Niall Kelly of The42
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say